My favorite cruise dessert!
6 large egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
6 teaspoons granulated sugar (or 8 -12 teaspoons packed brown sugar).
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Whisk yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean. Gradually whisk the cream into the sugar. Divide mixture among 6 – 3/4 cup custard cups or ramekins. Arrange dishes in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.
Bake custards approximately 35-40 minutes until the custard is set. Do not overbake or your custard will be rubbery. Remove the pan from the oven and remove custard cups from the water. Allow custards to cool before placing in the refrigerator. Chill overnight.
Two hours before serving:
Preheat broiler. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar atop each custard. Place dishes on small baking sheet. Broil until sugar just starts to caramelize, rotating sheet for even browning, about 2 minutes. Chill until caramelized sugar hardens, about 2 hours.
- Paleo Egg Custard (turningtroglodyte.wordpress.com)
- Baked Pumpkin Custard with Brown sugar topping (homefresh.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Flan, Custard Flan & Flan Custard | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- Pumpkin Pie with Salted Molasses Créme Fraîche /// Let’s make Pumpkin Puree from Scratch (vegetarianventures.com)
- Warm Apple Cider Pudding with Elderflower Custard: technical challenge 4 on The Great Irish Bake Off (bakersdiet.wordpress.com)